Monday, April 28, 2008

Time Travel?

It's sometime amusing the things that you remember from your childhood, isn't it? Sometimes, a smell will trigger a memory, that to an outside observer would seem completely random, but to you, makes perfect sense. Like, for instance, the smell of Brut aftershave and scotch tape instantly takes me back to Christmas when I was a little girl. Seems a little random, doesn't it? What about when I tell you that for many years, I bought my dad a bottle of Brut & wrapped it myself? Makes a lot more sense now, doesn't it?

Looking at jewelry in stores always reminds me of my mom, especially bangle bracelets, because they're her favorite. She used to have a gold bangle that I loved a lot when I was a little. It was delicate & dainty & had pretty vining flowers etched in it, so now when I look at them in stores, I always seem to be trying to find it again.

The smell of saddle soap reminds me of my oldest brother, who rode in the rodeo when I was growing up, and the smell of charcoal on sketch paper reminds me of my other brother, he was always drawing when we were younger.

What sights & smells take you back & what to?

No comments: