Friday, April 17, 2009

Bland

Wow. Total cereal is really bland. I added some cut up strawberries & Truvia sweetener to it, too & I honestly think a travel health insurance brochure would be tastier. I thought the days of healthy food not tasting good were over, but apparently they haven't, at least for the good folks who make this cereal. I eat a lot of healthy cereals, honestly, I don't really eat any other kind & this is the only one that I've found that not only had no flavor, but was so bland it seemed to suck the flavor out of the strawberries & sweetener, too.

Granted, it's really hard to find a good tasting cereal that doesn't have high-fructose corn syrup in it (and I refuse to eat or drink anything with that crap in it), but they're out there, just like other foods that don't have it. I've noticed lately that several companies are starting to advertise that they no longer use it as a sweetener, which makes me really happy. I buy a lot of organic products because they don't contain it & the ingredients list is nice & short. I love when I can not only pronounce everything on there, but know what each ingredient is & that they aren't a chemical or something else with no nutritional value.

Anyway, Kashi makes some great, healthy cereal. Wild Harvest (available at Albertson's) also makes delcious cereal. The price is pretty much comparable, considering that we'll actually eat the whole box of either brand, but I'm not sure this Total is ever going to get eaten. Blech.

No comments: