Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Change in Mindset

I was thinking about all of the changes in packaging that have happened in my lifetime, from fast food coming in Styrofoam boxes and every container being way bigger than the product inside to the current paper wrapping for fast food and streamlined boxes and containers. I noticed the other day at the grocery store that even Crystal Lite has changed their packages for the half gallon drink mixes, they did away with the plastic tub and moved to the same packaging as the single serve mixes and even made the main container smaller.

I know we're much more likely to buy products in the smaller boxes and even more likely if they also use post-consumer recycled materials in it. In cleaning supplies, we'll buy the natural products before the chemical laden products, because we have pets and feel better about using them than the alternative. I buy a lot of organics these days, too and have seen more & more of them popping up at the grocery store these days, which makes me very happy.

How about you? Have you increased your "Green shopping" or has nothing changed for you? I think manufacturers have made it a lot easier to shop responsibly by changing packaging & the materials used to make their products, that way most of us don't really have to think about it much. I'd probably have to go out of my way to find the old-style packaging, you know?

No comments: