Sunday, February 10, 2008

What Does Vacation Mean to You?

I was just thinking about the coming summer those of my childhood & realized that my concept of a vacation seems to be vastly different from that of a lot of blogs that I read. It may that I grew up in a family that didn't have a lot of disposable income & have raised my own kids in the same situation, or maybe we just like to do different things than the rest of the world does.

I've been on two conventional vacations in my entire life. The first one was a Carnival Cruise to the Bahamas, it was paid for by a former friend of ours, and really, it was just okay. It wasn't amazing or anything like that, I missed my kids, the ship was boring, the food wasn't that good.. the only great part of it was shore time, visiting the islands. I'd have preferred to fly to one, get a hotel & just stay there.

The second was in a conventional location, but probably wasn't a standard Las Vegas vacation. We took the kids, we stayed at the MGM Grand, played in the pools and in the Lazy River, visited kid-friendly attractions and had a ball.

I've visited almost every National Park in this part of the country, from Yellowstone to Zion and most of the State Parks in Colorado & Utah, but I've never been to Disneyland, Branson Missouri, Dollywood or Disney World. I've been to the Hogle Zoo here in Utah & the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo & Pueblo Zoo in Colorado, but never a huge, nationally known one. I visited Marine World Africa USA in Northern California, but have never been to Sea World. So, even when I'm taking a real vacation, we aren't doing the things everyone else seems to be doing. Quite frankly, Troy takes the longest stretch of time off to work at our renaissance faire & so do most of our friends.

What do you consider a vacation? Is it a fancy trip somewhere you can be pampered? A camping trip? Just time off from the every day? Tell me, I really am interested in knowing.

No comments: