Wednesday, January 11, 2012

An Odd Feeling

I tried, very hard actually, while my children were growing up to do all the right things. Sadly, I really only had the tools that I was raised with & those methods weren't all that great. I had a nasty temper, I took a lot of things out on the kids and had very little patience with them. I never imagined that they'd all be addicts of one sort or another, I knew that they had the potential, if I believed that genetics had anything to do with addiction (and I did & do), but I thought that my "stellar" parenting would help them avoid those temptations.

Anyway, I drove my two youngest (21 & 23) to an AA meeting yesterday, and when I saw them get out together & head for the door, I was a bit sad & guilty feeling, thinking, "Wow. What kind of a mother has to take two of her kids to an alcoholics anonymous meeting?" Suddenly, the smarter side of me said, "A really good one, who cares that her kids get help for their addictions, that's what kind." I mentioned it to my son later on, he told me the same thing & said he was really happy that his sister had come with him, because it was good to see her & spend a little time with her. He goes every day, usually 2-3 times a day, to different meetings, including NA. She rarely goes, so we don't know if she's sober or struggling, and when I ask she tells me she's sober, so that's all I have to go on.

Here I go, rambling again.. anyway, it felt strange to see them goign together, but it also felt good, if you know what I mean?

No comments: